Tuesday 3 March 2009

Homemaker You Maker My Home Lovely!



I had always admired, from afar, the ultra-fresh stylings of the superlative design classic "Homemaker" but it was not until my lovely Mother-in-law, Janice, was kind enough to bestow-upon-me several Homemaker plates and tea sets that I truly fell cup over saucer in love with these timeless designs.  Homemaker was created in 1956 by Enid Seeney who was working for Ridgway Potteries in Staffordshire at the time, creating pottery painted with simple motifs based on actual pieces of furniture and domestic equipment of her time.  Homemaker quickly became a very popular design of Post-War Britain and was originally sold exclusively in Woolworths to the house-proud design conscious folk of the 1950's.  Well, Woolworths is no longer with us *sigh* but Homemaker is immortalised forever more as a design classic that all budding designers should aspire to.

No comments: